History of the Elkton School District
Information from the 1941 Elkton High School Yearbook
The Elkton Consolidated School District was organized on January 30, 1917 when five districts voted to unite.
The first board of Education of this newly formed district were: Henry Tysseling, Pres., Fred Kraft, Clerk; L.C. Garder, Tres., S.T. Bohn and Robert Keller, Directors.
The voting of bonds and making of plans for the building were completed after several special meetngs and work on the building was started in the spring of 1918, which was eventually completed late that fall. In the meantime school was conducted in three separate buildings until the present structure was complete. Mr. Goetschel was the first superintendent.
The first high school class was graduated in 1920. Since then nineteen additional classes have been graduated including a total of one hundred eighty-four graduates. Beginning with a small high school enrollment the school has steadily grown until it has passed the one hundred mark. The increased high school enrollment is due largely to non-resident pupils who now come from a greater distance than formerly.
Originally five buses transported pupils to and from school. In the early years these were of the old horse drawn vehicles. At present some over one hundred sixty pupils are transported each day by eight modern motor buses and one automobile covering a distance of over one hundred miles a day.
In 1933 an industrial arts department was added with one additional high school teacher. In 1936 the high school was reorganized under the Six-Six plan with departmental instruction in the seventh and eighth grades on the same pattern as that of the upper four years of high school. Departmental instruction in music and penmanship is also carried on in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth grades. Up to date text books and equipment and first class janitor service is a recognized feature of the Elkton School. A progressive board of education has carried out recommendations of the State Department of Education inspectors and superintendent with the result that the school has grown in recognition and service. Many of its graduates have attained to positions of distinct recognition in a variety of occupations and professions.